Thames & Kosmos Bionic Robotic Arm
The robotic arm of the future is here! Assemble this cutting-edge, segmented arm from almost 300 plastic pieces and learn how each part comes together in its intricate mechanical design. This innovative system is controlled by a pair of joysticks that pull and release a network of nylon cables threaded throughout, enabling intuitive and precise movements, much like how tendons work to control the muscles in your arm. The result is a mesmerizing motion reminiscent of a cyborg creature’s tentacles in a sci-fi movie!
Use the buttons on the top of each joystick to open, close, and rotate the claw 180 degrees. Challenge yourself or your friends to grab, move, and release various objects. Bonus: Switch out the gripper claw with a model of an eel’s head to transform your robotic arm into a slithery bionic eel.
A full-color manual guides model building and experimentation and provides engaging scientific information about how this type of robotic arm works while offering up real-world examples.
- A classic tool reimagined: combines a tried-and-true play pattern with a fresh, functional design and relevant, real-world technology
- Stunning mechanical design with cutting-edge control system – no motors or electricity required!
- Incredible range of motion and unparalleled flexibility:
- Arm: 360-degree, 23-inch horizontal working area and 180-degree, 15-inch vertical working area
- Claw: 180-degree rotation, 2.5-inch maximum grip
- Bonus: learn about biomimicry — the study of how models, systems, and elements found in nature are incorporated into everyday engineering.
We want you to be thrilled with your purchase! That’s why we offer a 30-day return policy, which means you have 30 days after receiving your item to request a return. Learn more. Shipping
Orders ship USPS Priority Mail or UPS Ground, usually arriving in 3-7 business days. Shipping costs calculated at checkout. Expedited shipping is available for an additional fee. Shipping turnaround time is often within 24 hours. Learn more.